Awards & Scholarships
Students who have demonstrated academic ability, promise of a contribution to the field of TR, and have worked in the TR field.
This award may be made annually to up to two students.
1. Current student or professional member of ATRA
2. Declared program of study in Therapeutic Recreation or graduate studies related to Therapeutic Recreation
3. Current enrolment in university or college, third year standing or above if enrolled in a four-year program, second year standing if enrolled in a two-year program
4. Volunteer/Work experience in TR is an asset
5. Two letters of reference (preferably one from an educator, and one from a practitioner) addressing the nominee’s potential contributions to TR.
ATRA Entry to Practice Bursary
The Alberta Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA) supports ATRA student members in the pursuit of therapeutic recreation education for the purpose of becoming a Professional Member of ATRA. Offering a scholarship to students at the Diploma and Degree level addresses ATRA’s purpose of providing professional development, research & education opportunities and establishing and improving consistent standards for practice for Therapeutic Recreation professionals entering into practice. The aim of this scholarship is to provide financial assistance to part time or full time students pursuing a Diploma or Degree that is eligible for ATRA Professional Membership. It is also intended to support Alberta based Therapeutic Recreation programs and increase awareness of Therapeutic Recreation as a profession to students and educators.
In 2015, the ATRA Board of Directors allocated five annual scholarship amounts of $1000.00. These five scholarship amounts are awarded between the Continued Competence Bursary and the Entry to Practice Bursary. The Continued Competence Director and the Education Director co-chair the Educational Bursary Application Review Committee which reviews all the applications and awards the scholarships based on eligibility criteria.
E-mail completed application and all required documentation to:
Application deadline is September 15 of each year.
Not a Student Member? You can apply at any time. Please see the Student Membership Application section of the website.