Application & Renewals
Since 1985 ATRA has been working diligently to develop and provide advocacy, education, governance, guidance and support to the recreation therapy profession in Alberta.
Applying for membership is a multiple step process. Check your qualifications to make sure your application will be approved saving time and energy for yourself and ATRA.
Look at what membership provides
- ATRA unites TR professionals across the province.
- Official advocate for Recreation Therapy to government, other health care professionals and the public.
- Application to regulated recreation therapy within the Alberta Health Profession Act.
- Research on member demographics.
- Website statement to employers communicating the benefit of hiring ATRA professional members.
- Promotional items
- TR Month Awareness Package
- Social media
Entry to Practice
- Sets qualifications and minimum standards of competence to enter practice
- Represents the profession on Advisory Committees for the TR program at Alberta Post Secondary Institutions advocating for students preparing to enter the field and access for professionals to upgrade.
- Develops guidelines and resources for practicum placements for practitioners, students and post-secondary institutions.
Continuing Competence Program
- Annual symposium, webinars & chapter education sessions
- Regular circulation of educational events from the broader health profession field
- Access to CTRA education events with joint membership.
ATRA carries out the powers and duties of a self-governing health profession through
- Provincial and Chapter governance models
- Elections for Provincial Director and Chapter Executive Positions
- Strategic Plans.
- Policies and Procedures
- Operational and Advancement Committees
Professional documents to guide your recreation therapy practice:
- ATRA Competency Profile (Standards of Practice)
- Code of Ethics
- Position papers specifying the role of Recreation Therapy in health care
Stay current with the growing field of recreation therapy
- Regular email correspondence
- Social Media
- Upcoming continuing competence opportunities within health care
- ATRA education (Symposium, webinars, chapter education sessions
- Membership Transition Discount for Students
- Reduction in CTRA membership fees
Resources to begin a recreation therapy career
- Alliance with Alberta Post Secondary institutions offering therapeutic recreation programs
- Guidance and documents to support the student and supervisor in practicum placements.
- Student scholarships
- Access to Job Postings
- ATRA Membership Directory
- Online application system for new members
- Access to Job Postings
- ATRA Professional Member Verification Directory
- Continuing Competence Bursaries
- Networking through Chapter meetings and symposium
- Online Member renewal process