Membership Categories and Criteria
Since 1985, ATRA has represented the profession of Recreation Therapy in the province of Alberta. ATRA supports over 700 members in the delivery of competent, safe and ethical health care service to Albertans. If you are practicing, managing, instructing, enrolled as a therapeutic recreation student or would like to support the profession, ATRA welcomes your application for membership.
ATRA accepts applications for three different membership categories. Please review the three categories and select the category that meets your needs.
Apply for this category if you are a new graduate, new to ATRA, currently practicing, supervising, teaching or returning to practice after a LOA of 3 consecutive years and who meet academic and clinical placement requirements.
- Professional Members are entitled to serve as a Director and vote for Directors, Bylaw amendments, professional issues and can serve on Professional Advancement Committees
- Please be advised that effective March 31, 2018 “Non-practicing” membership category was cancelled. Please renew in the Professional Membership category.
- Effective April 1, 2021 ATRA will require new applicants for Professional Membership to have a degree in Therapeutic Recreation or Recreation / Leisure Studies degree. The Degree program will meet specified coursework and practicum criteria.
- If you have recently retired, or no longer work in the field and do not intend to return to TR Practice, ATRA invites you to apply for a Supporting Membership.
Apply for this category if you are taking one or more courses towards the completion of a diploma, post graduate certificate, bachelors / masters / doctorate degree whose title contains Therapeutic Recreation or Recreation & Leisure Studies.
- Student Members do not serve as Directors or vote for Directors, Bylaw amendments, professional issues or serve on Professional Advancement Committees. Student members are eligible to vote on their Chapter Student Representative.If you have graduated please apply for Professional Membership.
- ATRA professional members who continue to work in therapeutic recreation while taking courses are expected to maintain Professional Membership.
Apply for this category if you are retired from a career in Recreation Therapy or are interested in furthering the objectives of ATRA and are not eligible for Professional or Student Membership.
- Supporting Members do not serve as Directors, vote for Directors, Bylaw amendments, professional issues or serve on Professional Advancement Committees.
Membership applications may be deferred, refused or conditions imposed if the renewal applicant does not meet membership criteria.'
Please email email@example.com if you have questions that are not answered in the FAQ section.